Monday, December 04, 2006

No Pork Today!

Tuesday, 5 December 2006

I had in mind what to cook tonight - "Braised Pork with Black Mushroom in Black Soya Sauce".

Went to the grocery shop early in the morning thinking that I could choose the best. It was about 6:45 am and there was not a single slice of pork visible??? Asked the shopkeer and he said "no pork today". I remarked "then I better drive to Lutong (another pork outlet a few minutes drive away) to buy". The shopkeeper said "you would not find any pork in town today, unless the vendor is not licenced". I asked "why?" He said "they don't slaughter pigs today" "Every Tuesday they are off".

I didn't know Tuesdays is a off day for the pig butchers in Miri. This is new to me. I don't have a day set apart to buy meat and I am glad I picked today to buy otherwise I would not know when is the pig butchers' off day. I am going to find out when this off day started, just to satisfy my inquisitive mind! I wonder when is the butchers' off day in Kuala Lumpur? I am going to find that out soon!

Ended up buying beef instead and cooked "Stewed Beef with potatoes, carrots & onions".

1 comment:

Iain Cameron said...

How strange. Please let me know if you find out why this is.