Thursday, November 02, 2006

Know The Medicine We Take

I have been thinking about the importance of knowing the medicine we take, ever since Mum had stroke on the 8 July 2006.

If Mum had been told how important she must take the medicines that were prescribed to her, she would have taken them without fail. She had told me a few months before her stroke that she felt uncomfortable taking certain medication and I told her she needed to tell the doctor. There were ifs.

If only I had surfed the websites for information of the medication, I would have advise her.

If only I had taken more responsibility and talk to the doctor attending her. She did not miss any appointments with her doctor and I have driven her when I am in town, ever since I moved back.

Did the doctor, nurse or the pharmacist of the clinic told her about the medicine, the side effects and the consequences of not taking them?

Did the medical staff expect that all the patients would take the medicine, faithfully, if they are not being informed adequately?

Probably there are too many patients - that is a bad excuse. Probably they think the patients wouldn't understand. They would, if the information are relayed in layman's terms!

Saturday, 28 October 2006

Visited a doctor for consultation. My gastric problem has recurred and this time it is bad, so bad that I worry continually and that in turn caused more acid production in my stomach! The gastric pills that I usually take did not work.

I was diagnosed as having heartburn, caused by stress. Yes, I had been stressful. I tried not to, but I can't help being stressful at times and that is when my body suffered. I feel worst when I am worried, cannot sleep and when I bottle up feelings that I feel nobody can understand or support. I feel my heart ache when I cried a lot. I prayed but I still feel miserable. I didn't attend the dance classes since Mother had the stroke because I didn't feel up to it, and that was a contributing factor to my stress level.

The doctor prescribed me 10 pills. I could not read the handwritting and I didn't asked what it was. I was to take 1 tablet twice a day. I asked the nurse whether I could take anytime and she confirmed anytime. I trusted and obeyed.

Tuesday, 31 October 2006

Woke up at 4 am by a very disturbing and uncomfortable feeling at my chest. Took 1 pill and that was when I felt the immediate effect. I was drowsy and fell asleep as soon as I layed down the bed.

I realised that was probably why I had been sleeping like a log for the past 3 nights! And I was sleepy during the days as well!

I rang up the clinic and asked the nurse the name of the pills that was given to me on Saturday. Looked up in the website and learnt that sleepiness is one of the effects of "Xanax"! And the nurse said I could take "Xanax" anytime!!

Can't trust anyone behind the counter, got to do somework ourselves!

No comments: