Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Driver License Finally

Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Finally, after 7 years, I got my Driver License Class E!

Mike had asked me ever since I came (2007) to the US to get my license (licence in UK) but I refused.   My experience with him, instructing me, was a pressure NOT a pleasure.   Kept telling me to drive according the speed limit posted.   I have learnt that the unlawful speed is 15 mph or more and 16 mph or less below posted speed.    I was not comfortable driving at 70 mph.   And I was not used to the car, which is bigger than what I am used to.

On 12 March, 2012, I applied for a Learner Permit, whereby I must be accompanied by a licensed driver, 21 years of age or older, who occupies the front passenger seat.   Passed the vision and written test.  Paid $25.50 ($4 application fee + $21.50 license fee).   It was valid until 03-31-2016.  Drove only during the 1st 3 months.

On 9 October, 2012, Sister Susan Oa..... took me the Arkansas State Police to enquire if I needed to take a driving test to obtain a driver license.   I had to bring the original US visa and a green card when I come and apply.  I took home an Arkansas Driving License Study Guide.   I don't remember whom I asked if my OK Learner Permit could be used in AR and I was told that it was recognised.   Thinking back, I believed that there was a miscommunication there.    Why?

We are living in a gated community.  Mike said it is not illegal for me (no FL Driver License) to drive inside the residential park, so long as I am in the public roads.   So beginning 17 March 2014 (St. Patrick's Day), after having lived in the park since August 2013, I got behind the wheel again!     Got to be more confident with my driving and decided to call a local driving school on the 21 June, 2014.   And the school said that my out-of-state Learner Permit  is recognised here in Florida!   They charged $245 for 4 hours and $445 for 8 hours lessons.

On the 23 June, 2014, I called the Florida Transport Dept.   And yes, my OK Learner Permit is recognised here.   However because I had been a resident over 6 months, I have to transfer the OK license to a FL license.   I was told to bring two proofs of Personal Identification and two proofs of my residential address.

So on the 24 June, 2014, I got my FL Learner License Class E and it expires 07-25-2022.  Paid $54.25 ($48 License Fee + $6.25 Service Fee).   Since then I have been driving whenever Mike & I go out, even though there are times I would rather be a passenger.   I was not happy being forced to drive.

Today, I decided it is time I sit for my driving test and get a Driver License.   Michael said I am ready.   Sally said I am ready.   Ellen said the same.   I felt ready until I read "Stop/Start on a Grade", at the testing center.     I had not practised this!   My 'tutors' (Michael and Ellen) and I didn't do this at all!    This is the part where I was told by the examiner, after  the driving test, that I should have signalled when I was leaving the parked spot.   This was done on the side of the road, as there is no hill.

Anyway, the examiner said I passed.   What a relief.    Took me more than 7 years to get a US Driver License.    Read 4 different states of Driver's Handbooks (Arizona, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Florida).     And after 2 Driver Permits.    I only had to paid service fee of $6.25 for the upgrade from Learner License Class E to Driver License Class E, with the same validity dates.

Sister Geok Lee, you would be happy if you know that I finally did it.   Even though you have departed from this mortal world since the 6 November 2012, it was you who actually spur me to set getting my US Driver License as the year's resolution.    I think it probably in 2011 that you wrote and encouraged me.   Thank you.

Took me 7 years to have the courage to get a license to drive on the right side of the road, after having driven over 35 years on the left side of the road.

No comments: