Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Grandmother

Sunday, 3 June 2007

It felt funny being called "Grandma Irene". That was what 6 years old Sheridan addressed me. 9 days ago, on the 25 May, I was emotional and homesick. Except for my precious Lian, this was the first time I have another little girl, under my roof, to take care full time. It has been a long time ago. I was then not a grandma yet but a mother. It brought back memories - the things that I do with Lian - getting her to eat, drink, bath, dress, sleep. The conversations, the outings, the playing time, etc. The list is endless. It was then that I felt I missed Lian so much that words could not express it. I wish then that she would always stay close to me forever and ever, so that I could watch over her.

Today, I was emotional and homesick again. It was the end of Sheridan's stay and she was going back to her mother. It was today that I really understood what my own mother felt as a grandmother. Why my mother did what she did, for her grandchildren. I didn't understand before. I had asked her over and over why she didn't scold them when I thought they were not reasonable, why she prefered to be looking after them instead of enjoying herself. She never tried to explain because she knew I would understand when I become a 'grandmother' myself.

I finally understood and I can't help my tears dropping. Was it my hormones playing on me again? I was really emotional when I recalled how my mother unselfishlessly and lovingly looked after her youngest grandchild during the past 2 years, whenever his parents were out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mummy! You better not be replacing me! :P

Irene said...

You wouldn't be replaced. You will always be my only "lyanne". You will forever be my little girl. Love you.