Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chinese New Year's Eve Dinner

Saturday, 13 February 2010

Instead of staying at home and enjoying the Chinese New Year's Eve, Michael ended up in a hospital bed!

Samples of his blood showed that Mike had a pancreatitis infection.




Wednesday, 17 February 2010

It was not Chinese New Year's Eve today but that didn't matter.. What matter was that our Chinese New Year's dinner is not cancelled. Chinese New Year's celebration is 15 days and today is only the 4th day.

Discharged from the hospital yesterday and Mike was ready for action - pouring his egg mixture to do an egg crepe for his own version of Korean Om Rice.


I found this Honey Garlic Barbecue Spareribs recipe in the chinesefood.about.com. I thought it read good and suggested Mike try it. It turned out great! We loved it.


Something that I am trying for the first time - Baked Curried Chicken, using Maggi Mix. I got the idea from Great Baked Chicken Curry Recipe from grouprecipes.com. It tasted good!


I have my own beef stew recipe but I thought I tried this Crock Pot Beef Stew recipe (minus the beef stew mix) from the cooks.com. Not bad but I think I prefer my own recipe!


Now the stir-fry dishes. My own version of stir-fried prawns with red and green peppers. I love the red and green colours combination.


My own version of stir-fried beef with broccoli.


Stir-fried french beans with eggs. This is a dish which I cooked quite often in Malaysia. It is simple, quick, cheap, nutritious and delicious. But somehow stir-frying the beans in the US do not result with the same result as I got in Malaysia! They seemed to be harder and not done, even after I left them longer in the pan. Maybe they are old! Probably they are meant to be boiled! I have to try again!


Stir-fried pork with ginger and spring onion (I am not used to calling spring onion as scallion) - another simple and delicious dish I like very much. My recipe is almost the same as the one posted by a blogger, whose posting I have linked to the name of this dish, if you are interested.


Last dish was my version of stir-fried lettuce with garlic (no picture taken - no time - and hungry people are waiting). I cooked this dish a few times before. So I thought I do that for others who haven't tried it.

Typically, Chinese don't eat raw vegetables. Almost all vegetables are cooked! I have linked a recipe of it from the chinesefood.about.com to the name of dish, if you want to try it as well.


Voila! The dinner/buffet table is ready! Usually we sit around the table but there is no space so buffet will do!


Glad Elder Pickett & Elder Villarreal were able to join us.


And we are also happy that Roger and Robin were able to make it. We were sorry the rest of the family - Michelle, Joshua, Patty & Melvin - couldn't come because they were sick.

If God would grant me a wish today, I would wish Lian and Yean (and Anges) are here with me now.

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR ** TAKE CARE ** GOD BLESS

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wah... everything looked so good.. I want to try that baked curry chicken.. it looks really good.. and the ribs.. and the everything.. I miss your stuffed beancurd la mom..

Irene said...

I had stuffed beancurd in my listing but ended up not doing that because can't find that here.

¸.·´ (¸.·¨¯` ♥✿šτεрнαиīε said...

Yep, it really looked do delicious.I want to try that baked curry chicken too. So far I never heard about bake curry. Your egg should be dish out before you stir fried your bean. Cos bean need the hot oil to soften it. That is what I discover when I cook bean group. Add the eggs when the beans have change like whitish green.